How to tame hamsters?
Most children feel a special predilection for animals. An affordable alternative in terms of responsibilities and price refers to hamsters, easily domesticated.
Hamsters are small rodents belonging to the subfamily of cricétinos. The most common species in the domestic sphere are usually the so-called Syrian hamster, Roborovski hamster, Russian hamster, Campbell hamster and Chinese hamster.
A priori , hamster care is simple compared to other pets, which together with its small size and its sociable nature, make it one of the most popular options among children. However, hamsters, like any pet, require a commitment from their owners and their domestication is key to coexistence is satisfactory.
On the other hand, it should be noted that the tendency to collect several copies it is associated with more aggressive behaviors. In general, these are territorial and lonely animals , so that when they feel that their space or food is at risk, they can have strong and even tragic disputes.
Some tips to tame to the hamsters are:
- When buying a hamster we must ensure that it will have adequate living conditions. Thus, it is not enough to buy a spacious cage and carry out the stipulated hygiene and nutrition tasks. It is also important that, in the case of minors, they are aware that their pet is not a toy, but a living being, which implies respect and care.
- The first days of coexistence should be oriented towards recognition of the new environment. It is advisable not to touch it or to limit itself to short caresses from outside the cage. In fact, experts say that due to its scary nature it is better to start getting used to us with our presence or our voice.
- To get it out of the cage for the first time we will proceed to open it, but we avoid catching the animal. We will extend our hand so that it begins to recognize us and we can even give it some kind of 'prize' so that it can positively conceive us.
- When we see that there is a certain reciprocity with our hamster, it will be the moment of pick it up in a delicate way, especially on the part of the little ones.
- The more time we spend with our hamster and the more he gets used to dealing with different people, the more receptive he will be to the game. Like any pet, and even more in the case of mammals and birds, stimulation is key. All kinds of balls, tunnels, ladders and wheels will encourage both joy and learning of new challenges, in addition to maintaining their physical form.
- Even though the toys mentioned above they have many benefits, the misuse of some of them can put at risk the health of our animal . An example is the balls for rodents, in which the hamster gets inside the object to roll out of the cage. If instead of the inertia of your body the animal is driven by a person, the speed acquired by the ball can injure it.
- On the other hand, to avoid biting, it is advisable to act calmly and Never interrupt our pet while eating, drinking or sleeping. That hamsters are small and apparently simple in terms of care is concerned, should not detract from our commitment and respect for them.